This recipe is perfect for a Sunday dinner. Or serve for special company. Shredded chicken in barbecue sauce topped with shredded mozzarella cheese — baked in a homemade bread dough ring.
Chicken, BBQ sauce & cheese topping
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- McCormick’s barbecue seasoning
- 1 c ketchup
- 1 c Western salad dressing
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
Slow cook chicken
- Start by adding two boneless skinless chicken breasts to your slow cooker.
- Season with salt, pepper, and McCormick’s barbecue seasoning. Add a little bit of water.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours. Check occasionally to make sure it’s not drying out.
- The chicken should be easy to shred at that point. Pull chicken apart using two forks.
- Then mix the barbecue sauce: 1 cup of ketchup + 1 cup of Western salad dressing + 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Add the sauce to the shredded chicken.
- Cook on low for a least another hour. Then turn off the heat and let the bbq chicken cool.
Make the bread dough
- Start the bread dough about 2 1/2 hours before the chicken is done and cooled. (You can even make the chicken the day before and pop it in the fridge.)
- Add these seven ingredients in order to the bread machine pan: 1 egg + 1 cup of milk – warmed in the microwave for about 30 seconds until lukewarm, 2 tbsp butter sliced, 3 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast (room temperature)
- Use the dough/pizza dough setting on your bread machine. Press start. The cycle should be about 90 to 100 minutes.
- Once the bread machine dough cycle is complete, let the bread rise to the top of the bread machine pan.
Form the sandwich bake
- Prep an area with parchment paper. Grease your hands with butter.
- Spread the dough to the size of a 13 X 9 pan.
- Spread butter over the dough.
- Top with a thin layer of shredded chicken (in BBQ sauce).
- Important – you don’t want the chicken to be too warm or it will make your dough really hard to work with. You also don’t want it cold because it will increase the cook time of the dough.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Roll the dough up from long end to long end. Pinching the end to the rest of the dough.
- Then make into a ring. Pinching the two ends together.
- Make slits in the top of the ring about 2 inches apart (with a kitchen scissors).
Bake & serve
- Bake at 350 degrees for 22 to 25 minutes.
- You want it to be golden brown on the top and the bottom. Check one of the cutouts to make sure it is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve warm. Cut into slices and drizzle with barbecue sauce.
Yes, there is a lot of time involved, but most of it is wait time!
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: barbecue chicken, dinner idea, sandwich bake