This simple macaroni salad is a fantastic side for a bbq or potluck. It’s made with shell pasta, cheddar cheese, peas, and onions. And the miracle whip sauce is what makes this salad so delicious.
This is not your typical macaroni salad. It’s so much better. It’s made with shell pasta, cheddar cheese, peas, & onions.
This salad is a great side to grilled anything – burgers, hot dogs, steak, options are endless. Don’t forget to double or triple the recipe for larger get-togethers!
Simple Macaroni Salad Recipe
This recipe normally takes about 25-30 minutes. Serves 8-10 people.
- 1/2 box of medium shell pasta
- 1 can tuna
- 1 can peas
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small block of medium cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 cups of miracle whip (this is very important – do not use regular mayo!)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 tbsp of mustard
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Instructions & Recipe Tips
Begin by cooking one half of the box of shell pasta. I normally buy the 1 pound box. Cook the pasta according to box directions. When the pasta is al dente, rinse it with cold water.
A note of caution – warm pasta and miracle whip will not be a good combination! So make sure the pasta is cool before adding the sauce.
Next, add the pasta to a medium-sized serving bowl.
Drain the can of peas and add. Dice one medium onion and add. The onion really brings out the flavor as well. (Hopefully, you like onions!)
Chop and add one small block of medium cheddar cheese. (You can also try sharp cheese if you are a sharp cheddar fan.)
Now for the sauce!*** In a separate bowl, combine the miracle whip, milk, mustard, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Add the sauce to the pasta, peas, onion and cheese mixture. Stir until everything is well coated.
Chill for several hours before serving.
***This is normally the kind of sauce where we (we being the cooks in our family) usually dump the ingredients. So to have a recipe with measurements is something new. My mom taught me how to make this sauce and it was passed down from my Grandmother. However, we dump the ingredients, taste-test and then we tweak if needed. (Tip — tweak the recipe to your taste. My husband and I go lighter on the mustard (already figured into the recipe shown) because we are not huge mustard fans, but you could go more.) This sauce is also the secret to our potato salad.
Such a simple macaroni salad recipe. The tastiest macaroni salad you’ll ever make! Promise.
The tastiest macaroni salad you’ll ever make. This macaroni salad is made with shell pasta, cheddar cheese, peas, and onions.
- Cook one half of the box of shell pasta according to box directions. Rinse with cold water. Warm pasta and miracle whip will not be a good combination!
- Add the pasta to a medium-sized serving bowl.
- Drain the tuna and add it to the pasta.
- Drain the can of peas and add.
- Dice one medium onion and add.
- Chop and add one small block of medium cheddar cheese. (Try sharp cheese also if you are a sharp cheddar fan).
Be sure to let the pasta cool before adding the dressing.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: miracle whip, pasta salad, peas, cheddar cheese, tuna
Check out these other popular recipes:
- Oh So Simple Creamy Cucumber Dip
- Sunrise Slush
- 2 Ingredient Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- Mini Almond Cakes