Delicious buttercream frosting you’ll use on the ‘face’ of each smiley face cookie. Made with part butter, part shortening to keep a bright white color.
- Begin by mixing together softened butter and shortening.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Mix well.
- Mix in cream and vanilla.
- Adding additional cream to achieve desired consistency.
- Frost all cookies using white icing.
- Then separate the remaining icing into 3 different bowls.
- Add food coloring to reach desired brightness.
- Insert the white plastic end into the piping bag.
- Add each color to an icing piping bag. (Folding the bag down makes it easy to load with frosting.)
- Bring together each icing bag and line up the plastic end. Attach the decorating tip and fasten.
- Apply eyes and mouth on each cookie.
- Store in a plastic container to keep them soft.
Store the frosted cookies in a plastic container to keep them soft.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttercream, frosting, cookie frosting