- 1 cup beer (light beer works great)
- 8 to 11 ounces freshly shredded cheddar cheese (we love smoked cheddar!)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- Pre-heat your fondue pot.
- Prepare your cheddar cheese by freshly grating it and tossing it with flour.
- In your fondue pot, bring the beer to a boil.
- Once the beer reaches a boil, add half of your shredded cheddar cheese and whisk.
- Add the remaining cheese and whisk until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the Worcestershire and ground mustard.
- Keep on warm and serve with dippers.
When I first made this recipe, I was worried about it containing alcohol – but it burns off. I’ve found alcohol bases are best to make the cheese creamy and smooth. We often use bud light.
Don’t skip the flour – you need a thickener.
Freshly grated cheese is a must. Store-bought will have anti-clumping additives.
It is best to prepare the cheese fondue right before you serve it.
A double broiler is recommended to prevent burning.
See the entire recipe post for the best dipper ideas for cheese fondue.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 419.8 mg
- Fat: 19.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 56.1 mg
Keywords: cheddar, cheese, fondue, appetizer, party