A traditional lefse recipe, Norwegian potato flat bread. Spread with butter, sugar, roll-up and enjoy.
- Boil 2.5 pounds of potatoes until they fall apart and yield 5 cups.
- Drain the potatoes, you don’t want any water.
- Mash the potatoes with a beater.
- Add cream, shortening, sugar, and salt to hot potatoes.
- Cool thoroughly and then add the flour.
- Mix and knead.
- Roll the dough into balls.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the lefse griddle to 350 degrees. (may depend on your grill)
- Pull only one ball of dough from the refrigerator at a time.
- On a floured pastry board, roll the dough to about 12 inches in diameter.
- Place the rolled dough on the griddle.
- The dough will start to bubble.
- Flip and cook the other side.
- When you’re ready to serve — spread with butter, sugar, roll-up and enjoy!
The time will depend on your lefse making skills 😉
- Category: Breads
- Cuisine: Norwegian
Keywords: traditional lefse, flatbread