- Start by washing all of your produce.
- Then use a cutting board and serrated knife to dice the tomatoes.
- Drain the tomatoes, if needed.
- Dice the onions similar in size to the tomatoes.
- Remove the stems from the cilantro bunch and chop the remaining cilantro using a chef’s knife.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and onion to a medium bowl.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze the lime juice over the ingredients.
- Sprinkle salt on top of the tomato mixture.
- Gently stir until all ingredients are mixed well.
- We recommend chilling for a few hours, but you can serve right away if needed.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips or use as a topping for tacos or scrambled eggs (more ideas here)
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an air-tight container.
You can substitute other types of tomatoes, like roma tomatoes. Some even use grape or cherry tomatoes.
Yellow onions can be used in place of white onions. Red onions work too, just know they will have a stronger, more pungent taste.
In addition to draining the tomatoes, you can also scoop out the seeds before cutting to reduce excess liquid.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Snack, Side Dish
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 26
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 78.4 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pico, mexican, dip