Roasted Cabbage Steaks
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our full disclosure policy for details.
Roasted Cabbage Steaks ♡ thick cabbage slices, lightly seasoned and roasted to perfection—a delicious side dish, great with corned beef.
In this article:
Ingredients | Supplies | How to Roast Cabbage Steaks | How Long to Cook | What Temperature | How to Reheat | Seasoning Ideas | What to Serve With | Full Recipe
Are you tired of the same old dinnertime routine? Why not shake things up with savory and delicious roasted cabbage steaks? This easy-to-prepare dish is sure to be a hit with family and friends.
Roasted cabbage is packed with flavors, nutrients, and vitamins, making it an excellent choice for vegetarians or anyone looking to incorporate more plant-based foods into their diet. Roasting this veggie brings out the most delicious flavor, and it will surprise your taste buds in the best way!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Baked cabbage steaks have a crispy exterior and a tender center, making them so delicious.
- This dish is packed with nutrients and fiber, making it a healthy addition to any meal.
- It’s versatile and can be served as a main course or a side dish, and perfect for any occasion.
- This recipe is simple and easy to follow and doesn’t require complicated techniques or ingredients.
All you need are these 5 ingredients. Roasted veggies have so much flavor that you don’t need a lot of seasoning. But see our additional seasoning and topping ideas if you want to spice them up a bit more or make them cheesy.
Cabbage – small to medium heads of green cabbage, about 4 1/2 to 5 inches in diameter. (Large heads will make extra large steaks and take longer to cook and will need a little more olive oil and seasoning.)
Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil.
Salt – regular table salt.
Pepper – ground black pepper.
Garlic powder – regular garlic powder. You can also use granulated garlic, finely minced fresh garlic, or garlic salt.
Here is a short list of kitchen tools you’ll need.
- Baking sheet – one-half sheet.
- Parchment paper – this will make cleanup a breeze.
- Cutting board/knife – a long, sharp chef’s knife works great to cut through the cabbage head in one cut rather than many small cuts.
- Small bowl and measuring spoons – to mix the olive oil and seasonings.
How to Make Cabbage Steaks in the Oven
Follow these simple steps for delicious roasted cabbage steaks.
Step 1 | Preheat Oven
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2 | prepare Cabbage
Remove any damaged or hard outer leaves from the cabbage. Then, rinse thoroughly under cool water to remove dirt or debris and pat dry with a paper towel.
Step 3 | Cut Cabbage into Steaks
Slice the cabbage lengthwise into 3/4 to 1-inch thick “steaks,” making sure to keep the core intact to hold each slice together while roasting. (A sharp knife will help cut through the cabbage core, just be careful.)
Step 4 | ARRANGE ON BAKING SHEET
Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then arrange the cabbage slices on the pan, leaving a little bit of room between them.
Step 5 | Mix Olive oil and seasonings
In a small bowl, mix the olive oil with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
Step 6 | Apply Olive oil Mixture
Using a basting brush, spread olive oil and seasoning mixture on each cabbage steak. Coat each slice until the olive oil is used up.
Step 7 | Roast for 25 to 30 minutes
Roast the cabbage steaks in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. The cabbage should start to turn golden brown with crispy edges and be fork-tender.
If you like them a bit more crispy, continue to cook until they are done to your liking.
Step 8 | Remove from Oven & Enjoy
Once the cabbage is cooked to your preference, remove it from the oven and serve immediately.
How Long to Cook Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Roast cabbage steaks for 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit or until they become golden brown around the edges and fork-tender.
Cook Cabbage Steaks for 25 to 30 minutes at 425°F.
Note: the exact time may vary depending on your oven and the size of your cabbage slices, so keep an eye on them as they cook.
What Temperature to Roast Cabbage Steaks
Bake cabbage steaks in a preheated oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until they become fork-tender and crisp around the edges.
Bake Cabbage Steaks at 425°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
Note: ovens may differ slightly, so keep an eye on them as they bake.
Can Cabbage Steaks be Refrigerated and Reheated?
Yes, leftover cabbage steaks can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Reheating is easy. Just follow one of these methods:
- Oven: place the cabbage steaks on a prepared baking sheet and reheat at 425 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until warm.
- Stovetop: heat a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet, add leftover cabbage, and cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- Microwave: warm-up cabbage steaks in the microwave for a few minutes.
More Seasoning & Topping Variations
We love to go the simple route and use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. But you can switch things up and use a variety of seasonings and toppings. Here are a few ideas:
- Seasoned salt (also one of our favorites!)
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic, salt, and pepper blend
- Onion powder
- Fresh minced garlic
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Bacon crumbles or chopped bacon
- Balsamic vinegar
- Red pepper flakes
What to Serve with Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Roasted cabbage goes well with so many different main dishes. Here are a few of our favorite options:
- Corned beef
- Pulled chicken or pork sandwiches
- Roasted chicken or salmon
- Baked trout
- Brats or Kielbasa
- Pork chops
- Roasted potatoes
Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Thick cabbage slices, lightly seasoned and roasted to perfection—a delicious side dish, great with corned beef.
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 steaks 1x
- Head of cabbage – medium
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove any damaged or hard outer leaves from the cabbage. Rinse and pat dry.
- Slice the cabbage lengthwise into 3/4 to 1-inch thick “steaks,” making sure to keep the core intact to hold each slice together while roasting.
- Arrange cabbage slices on a parchment-lined baking pan, leaving some room between.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Using a basting brush, spread each cabbage steak with the olive oil and seasoning mixture.
- Roast the cabbage steaks in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. The cabbage should start to turn golden brown on the edges and be fork-tender. If you like them a bit more crispy, continue to cook until they are done to your liking.
- Remove them from the oven and serve immediately.
- See our list of other seasoning and topping ideas.
- Use a small to medium head of cabbage, about 4 1/2 to 5 inches in diameter. Larger heads will take longer to cook and may need more olive oil and seasonings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 steak
- Calories: 84
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 231.6 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegetable, side dish, plant-based
More Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted broccoli in the air fryer
- Air-fried corn on the cob
- Roasted brussels sprouts – coming soon!
Pin for later