A cheesy take on the classic green bean casserole. This side dish is layered with creamy green beans, melty Swiss cheese, and crispy fried onions.
While we love a classic green bean casserole, we also love to switch things up from time to time. This cheesy green bean casserole is a delicious alternative and has become a favorite for our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
Find What You’re Looking for:
The flavor is rich and creamy, and the fried onions give it a deliciously familiar taste because they are also used to top the traditional green bean casserole.
Ingredients for This Green Bean Casserole
Here are the simple ingredients you’ll need for this delicious side dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter – unsalted. (If you only have salted, that’s okay; you can reduce the added salt a bit if you choose.)
- 2 tablespoons flour – all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon salt – regular or kosher salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper – ground black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon sugar – white granulated sugar.
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes – dried onion flakes.
- 1 cup sour cream – regular sour cream.
- 2 cans of green beans – canned cut green beans or French style.
- 2 cups grated Swiss cheese – about an 8-ounce block.
- 1 cup fried onions – crispy fried onions, like French’s.
Do you prefer fresh green beans? You can use fresh green beans instead of canned, but you will want to blanch them before adding them to the sour cream mixture. (To blanch, cook for 5 to 7 minutes in boiling water.)
Supplies & Favorite Tools for Casseroles
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Spoon and rubber spatula
- 1 1/2 quart baking dish – a shallow baking dish works best.
- Baking spray
How to Make Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
Follow these simple steps to make this Swiss cheese green bean casserole.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Give the oven time to warm up and preheat it to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Melt butter & add seasonings.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Then, add the flour, salt, black pepper, sugar, and onion. Mix well.
Mix in sour cream and cook.
Add the sour cream and mix thoroughly. Cook over medium heat until it becomes thick and bubbly.
Fold in green beans.
Add the green beans to the sour cream mixture and carefully stir until all the green beans are coated.
Add to a greased baking dish.
Pour the green bean mixture into a greased 1.5-quart baking dish.
Top with cheese & fried onions.
Sprinkle the green bean mix with shredded Swiss cheese. Then top with the french fried onions.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
It’s Done & ready to enjoy!
Once the cheese is melty and the ingredients are heated through, it’s done and ready to enjoy.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cans of green beans
- 2 cups grated Swiss cheese (8-ounce block)
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Then, add the flour, salt, black pepper, sugar, and onion. Mix well.
- Add the sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- Cook over medium heat until it becomes thick and bubbly.
- Fold in the green beans and stir until coated.
- Pour the green bean mixture into a greased 1.5-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle the green bean mix with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Then top with the fried onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the cheese is melty, onions are crispy, and the ingredients are heated through, it’s done and ready to enjoy!
- For a larger group, you can double this recipe and use a large baking dish. You will need to adjust the cook time accordingly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 268.2 mg
- Fat: 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 32.3 mg
Keywords: thanksgiving side dish, green bean casserole, christmas side dish, easy side
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to commonly asked questions about making this green bean casserole.
Can I use fresh green beans instead of canned ones in this recipe?
Yes, you can use fresh green beans, but make sure to blanch them before adding them to the sour cream mixture for the best results. (To blanch, cook for 5 to 7 minutes in boiling water.)
Is it necessary to use a 1.5-quart baking dish, or can I use a different size?
While a 1.5-quart baking dish is recommended, you can use a different size, but keep in mind that a shallow baking dish works best for the allotted cooking time.
what if I don’t have dried onion flakes?
You can use fresh diced onions. Just sauté them in the butter before adding the seasonings.
Prepare to fall head over heels with this cheesy green bean casserole recipe. It’s a tasty spin on the classic green beans—perfect for holiday meals. The steps are simple, and the ingredients are easy to find. It’s a delightful addition to your holiday menu. We hope you enjoy it!
Have You Tried This Recipe? Please rate it in the comments and let us know your thoughts!
More Side Dish Recipes
Pin for later