An irresistible appetizer, this buffalo chicken dip is served chilled and loaded with creamy ranch, shredded cheese, celery, and chicken tossed in a flavorful buffalo sauce.
This delicious appetizer is the perfect party food because it’s easy to make, and everyone loves it. All you need is 6 ingredients + tortilla chips (or other delicious dippers!) and 20 minutes.
If you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer recipe, look no further than this buffalo chicken dip. It’s sure to be a hit for game day, game night, or a dinner party.
Creamy Ranch Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Grab this list of ingredients, and let’s make this quick and easy dip.
- 32 ounces of sour cream – (two 16-ounce containers)
- 2 packets of ranch seasoning mix – (two 1-ounce packages)
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce*
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 stick of a celery stalk, chopped
- Tortilla chips for dipping (you could also use veggies, pita chips, etc.)
Ranch mix – our favorite creamy ranch mixture uses the Hidden Valley seasoning packets and sour cream. Feel free to vary this based on your favorite way to make ranch. Some people use sour cream and mayo. And some love the taste of cream cheese added to the sour cream.
Buffalo sauce – we love the mild Sweet Baby Ray’s buffalo wing sauce. But you can use your favorite sauce or the regular heat variety of the Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo sauce. Or you can even toss your chicken in buffalo seasoning mix.
Chicken– for the chicken, you have a variety of options: 1) use pre-cooked and cubed chicken from the grocery store, 2) crockpot/slow-cooker chicken breast, shredded or chopped 3) frozen cooked and cubed chicken, 4) canned chicken, or 5) rotisserie chicken. As long as it’s cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces, that’s what really matters.
Dipping options – we love tortilla chips, but there are so many other options. For example, carrots, celery sticks, peppers, pita chips, bagel chips, crackers, etc. also make delicious options.
No chicken alternative – for a meat-free option, get creative with what you coat in buffalo sauce. Use blanched cauliflower tossed in buffalo wing sauce, chickpeas, or tofu.
Gluten-free – follow the original recipe for this dip, and be sure to double-check that all ingredients are gluten-free versions. Also, make sure to select gluten-free tortilla chips (most are gluten-free, but some can be a corn and wheat combination), veggies, or other gluten-free crackers and chips.
Blue cheese – if you love a blue cheese and ranch flavor combination, feel free to add blue cheese crumbles or replace the shredded cheddar with blue cheese.
More green – want to see a bit more green? Try adding even more celery or green onions.
This easy recipe is also easy to clean up. Here are the few supplies and tools you need to prepare and serve this dip.
- 7×11 baking dish
- Measuring cups
- Medium mixing bowl, mixing spoon, and rubber spatula
- Small mixing bowl and mixing spoon
- Cutting board and knife
- Serving spoon, serving tray (or bowl) for chips or dippers
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Now that you have a list of ingredients and tools needed—gather them all and let’s get started.
Set out the 7 x 11-inch baking dish, so it’s ready for all the yummy layers.
Next, add two 16-ounce containers of sour cream to the medium mixing bowl.
Then, pour the ranch seasoning packets over the sour cream and mix well.
Add the ranch and sour cream mixture to the 7×11 baking dish, using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl and evenly spread the mixture in the pan.
Next, chop the chicken (if not already chopped). And add the cubed chicken to a small bowl.
Top the chicken with buffalo sauce and stir until all of the chicken is coated well.
Spoon the chicken mixture over the ranch layer in the 7×11 pan. Drizzle the leftover sauce over the chicken and ranch mixture as well.
Chop the celery into small bite-size chunks. We like to slice across the celery stick and then cut each piece in half.
Sprinkle the celery on top of the ranch and buffalo chicken layers.
Finally, top the layers with shredded cheddar cheese. (Feel free to add more cheese to make it cheesier. Whatever suits your fancy.)
Chill this dip for several hours before serving (this is not required but recommended for the best flavor).
Serve with tortilla chips or other dippers. Here is a list of ideas for you:
- tortilla chips
- carrot sticks
- celery sticks
- sliced peppers (red, yellow, orange, green)
- pita chips
- bagel chips
Frequently asked questions
Find all the answers to your questions about making this dip recipe.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Dip less spicy
The trick to making buffalo chicken dip less spicy is to use a mild buffalo sauce or seasoning. Our favorite is the mild Sweet Baby Ray’s buffalo wing sauce. It has all the delicious flavor of a buffalo sauce with less heat.
How do I make chicken for Buffalo Chicken Dip?
If you opt to make the chicken for buffalo chicken dip instead of buying pre-cooked and chopped chicken, you can throw a chicken breast (or two) in the slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours, make in your Instapot, or dice raw chicken and cook it on the stovetop.
Can I make this Buffalo Chicken Dip ahead of time?
Yes, this is the perfect recipe for a make-ahead buffalo chicken dip. Prep the dip as instructed and pair it with tortilla chips, veggies, or crackers.
How long does Buffalo Chicken Dip last?
This chilled buffalo chicken dip with ranch will last at least a week in the refrigerator. At room temperature, we suggest not leaving this dip out longer than a few hours due to the sour cream and chicken ingredients.
How many calories are in Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Please note all recipes for buffalo chicken dip will have different nutrition stats. This particular recipe has approximately 303 calories per serving; see recipe nutritional information on the recipe card. Plus, you need to account for the calories in the tortilla chips or veggies you use to dip.
What goes well with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Our favorite dippers to pair with buffalo chicken dip are 1) tortilla chips, 2) bagel chips, 3) carrots, 4) celery sticks, 5) peppers, 6) bagel chips, and 7) pita chips.
What to eat with Buffalo Chicken Dip for dinner?
For dinner, buffalo chicken dip goes really well with cheeseburgers, sloppy joes, or a full appetizer night (think buffalo chicken dip, bbq smokies, cheese sticks, pickle roll-ups).
- Set out a 7 x 11 inch baking dish.
- Using a medium mixing bowl, add 2 16-ounce containers of sour cream.
- Pour the ranch seasoning packets on top of the sour cream and mix well.
- Add the ranch and sour cream mixture to the 7×11 baking dish, using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl and spread evenly in the pan.
- Next, chop the chicken (if not already chopped).
- Add the cubed chicken to a small bowl.
- Top with buffalo sauce and stir until all of the chicken is coated.
- Spoon the chicken mixture over the ranch layer in the 7×11 pan.
- Drizzle the leftover buffalo sauce on top of the chicken and ranch mix.
- Chop the celery into small bite-size chunks.
- Sprinkle the celery on top of the ranch and buffalo chicken.
- Top the ranch mix, buffalo chicken, and celery layers with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Chill for several hours before serving (not required, but recommended for the best flavor).
- Serve with tortilla chips or other dippers (see notes).
- Buffalo sauce – we love the mild Sweet Baby Ray’s buffalo wing sauce. Feel free to use your favorite sauce or the regular heat variety of the Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo sauce. You can even toss your chicken in buffalo seasoning mix. Whatever you have or hand or according to your preference.
- Chicken– for the chicken, you have a variety of options: 1) use pre-cooked and cubed chicken from the grocery store, 2) slow cooker chicken breast, 3) frozen cooked, cubed chicken, 4) canned chicken, or 5) rotisserie chicken. As long as it’s cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces, that is what really matters.
- Dipping options – we love tortilla chips, but you can get creative with dippers. For example, carrots, celery sticks, peppers, pita chips, bagel chips, crackers, etc. So many great options.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 1118 mg
- Fat: 21.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.6 g
- Protein: 14.7 g
- Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
Keywords: game day, big game, dinner party, game night
If you’re looking for the perfect appetizer to serve on game day or at your next dinner party, this recipe is sure to please. It’s simple and easy enough to make ahead of time so that guests can munch while they watch their favorite team take home a win.
With only six ingredients, it takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish–perfect for when you need something quick but delicious!
Happy dipping! We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Be sure to leave a review below after trying it out yourself.
Other Dip Recipes
Pin for Later